Monday, August 24, 2009

Portfolio Update - The Pond at Bryant Park

This past weekend was great.

I went to Montauk and took a few pretty cool pictures of the Lighthouse. I revised old ads and worked on new ones for the portfolio. I even came as close as I ever have to cooking the perfect steak.

But back to the ads.

Lately I've been working on improving the ads that I developed for the Pond at Bryant Park. TPBP is an ice skating rink located on 42nd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues in New York City. It seems odd to be thinking about ice skating in August but that's where my head is at the moment.

This past winter I went to TPBP on a Saturday morning. I got a seat by a window and sat inside the main area with a cup of coffee and just watched people go round and round for hours.

It was hysterical.

Kids and adults, tourists and natives, everyone was seemed to be on the ice. People were dropping left and right. You could tell the casual skaters from the serious ones right away. One girl was spinning 20 times per second on the tip of her skate while a kid was doing the same on his butt. As far as I was concerned, they both put on quite a show.

The ads around the rink did not capture what I saw out there and it made me think, "Did the team responsible for these ads spend any time here at all." Take a look at the links below and let me know what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yehwan/284350687/

I think the line is cute, fun, light-hearted, etc. but it seems generic; like it could work for any ice skating rink. So far, I think I have two really great lines that capture the spirit of The Pond at Bryant Park. One more ad and I'll have a complete campaign. Then I just have to figure out how I'm going to get this thing art-directed.

For now though, I better stop thinking of triple axels and get back to work!

Joe

http://twitter.com/joeyz101

P.S. When I was younger, I had the biggest crush on Kristi Yamaguchi...Sweet Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment