Friday, August 28, 2009

Got passion?

Earlier this week I saw "Art & Copy" at the IFC film center. It's a documentary about the advertising industry and how it's changed over the last 50 years. They also interview some of the major players and review their best campaigns both past and present.

The link below will take you to some reviews (pos. /neg.) .

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/art_and_copy/?critic=columns&sortby=fresh&name_order=asc&view=

Basically, if you're the type of person who waits until after the commercials to go to the bathroom, this is the movie for you.

I got a kick out of the stories behind the campaigns (e.g. Got milk? Just do it.). I'm also pretty sure that 95% of the audience worked in the business because every client jab was met with the kind of approval that said, "I've been there, you suck and now its my turn to laugh."


As far as my progress has gone, it's been a good week. My Communication Arts Advertising Annuals came in the mail yesterday so I'm about to find a chair in the nearest Starbucks and start reviewing. Comm Arts hosts, arguably the most prestigious competition for creativity in advertising and the annuals showcase the winning ads for each year across print, tv, interactive, etc..

There is a lot of crap out there and thats why becoming familiar with the best work is so important. It brings me one step closer to creating my own great ads. (At the very least it makes me much more critical of my own work.

A professor of mine said that before becoming an award winning Director, Quentin Tarantino worked in a video store and would literally watch every single award winning movie to understand what made them so good.

You have to recognize greatness before you can achieve it otherwise, how can you know what you're shooting for.




Joe

http://joeyz101.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. Pick up Lurzer's Int'l Archive from Barnes & Noble. It has some great ads in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,

    Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check it out!

    joeyz101

    ReplyDelete