Monday, August 10, 2009

Flock of dreams

I wonder how many people love what they do for a living. How'd they get there? Did everything fall right into place or is there an exciting story behind it? I think about stuff like that all the time.

Sometimes as people pass me on the street I guess what they do for a living. I've got to be wrong 99.9% of the time but I get a kick out of wondering. At the very least, I can tell if someone seems happy. When someone can't stop smiling on an early morning train that was packed to capacity 5 stops ago, this person is either a tourist, a psychopath or a truly happy individual (and who can't spot a tourist in New York City?).

I must walk with, past (through) hundreds of people each day and sometimes it feels like I'm just following the sheep in front of me. One morning a few months back, a homeless guy pushed his way through the commuters and I screaming "Baaa, baaaa, baaaah." It was scary for a second (I'm in my own world early in the morning), then it was kind of funny (you could tell this wasn't his first time) but that guy made me think, "What am I doing with my time? With my life?"

In "The Alchemist," Paulo Coelho says that at one time or another, people give up on their dreams. Others say that their dreams are silly, unrealistic or not worth chasing and over time they come to accept that point of view as fact. Then there are those who refuse to let anyone change their plans. They protect their dream and it grows into a reality.

I have a sense of urgency now that I didn't have two years ago. Over the next few months I'm going to put a portfolio together with the goal of becoming a Copywriter at an Ad Agency. How I get there will be the focus of this blog. Stay tuned.

Joe
http://twitter.com/joeyz101

1 comment:

  1. I wrote about Commuters as Sheep in my own blog!


    http://www.bombast.org/starscape/2008/02/05/static/

    ReplyDelete