Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Honesty rains supreme

What do I have against sleep?

I used to be pretty damn good at it. In college, I remember sleeping for days. It was great, that whole rest and relaxation thing.

I don't do much of it anymore.

Life is more fun when your eyes are open. Why sleep when you could have stimulating conversations, read a good book, ride a mechanical bull, etc. Doing is so much better than sleeping and sleeping is way more satisfying when you've done, or did. (still with me?).

Last night decided against sleep again and met up with friends in Brooklyn for an advertising "Movie Night." It was our first stab at keeping the momentum going in between classes. A lot of fun for sure.

We had a bunch of movies to pick from, but it came down to "Crazy People" (with Paul Reiser) or "What Women Want" (with Helen Hunt). Who knew "Mad About You" was the nucleus of the ad industry?

We went with "Crazy People," starring Dudley Moore, Daryl Hannah and Paul Reiser. I got a kick out of it, but I'm the Paula Abdul of movie critics so don't go by me. For those interested, here's a quick run down of the movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_People

These were my takeaways:

  • Creative people are crazy
  • Crazy people know honesty
  • Honesty is important in advertising
  • Jerks and cheats don't know honesty
Being honest with ourselves and others is tougher than we think. If you don't practice honesty on a daily basis how can you expect to naturally find it in the products and services you advertise? Maybe that's why there are so many crappy ads out there.

After the movie, a couple of us got caught in the rain heading to the train.

I love when that happens.

As long as you have the right mindset, getting caught in the rain feels great. It turned out to be a perfect way to end the night because it made me feel just a little bit crazy.

Seems like that's at least some of what I need to make it in this business.

Joe
http://twitter.com/joeyz101

P.S. A friend of mine told me about a pretty cool website yesterday called, howcast.com. You can watch and share how-to videos and they even have a contest for emerging film makers.

Take a look at my friend's video. If you think it's cool, give it a thumbs up!

http://www.howcast.com/videos/225835-How-To-Know-When-Youve-Walked-a-Mile-in-NYC-2nd-Attempted-Upload

No comments:

Post a Comment