Sunday, November 29, 2009

Reflecting before the review

First attempt at a self portrait with my Olympus E-520
0
0
I'm always ready to photograph whatever crosses my lens. But one thing I never shoot is myself.
0
It's 1:15am and I'm still organizing my ads for tonight's portfolio review. Sorting through my work got me in a reflective kind of mood, hence the self portrait.
0
Did I learn anything while peering within?
0
I've done some good work. I'm more creative than I would've given myself credit for a few years ago and I have A LOT to learn when it comes to self portraits.
0
As far as the photo goes, I had a lot of trouble with the light. In the end I created a makeshift diffuser by hanging a bedsheet around my ceiling fan. This softened the light overhead, which reduced some of the harsh shadows I had been facing.
0
My kit lens also wasn't focusing in the low light and I kept having to point the camera to the window, press the shutter (to start the 12 second self-timer) reposition the camera on the tripod, run over to the couch and strike a pose each time I took a picture (the excuse I settled on for why I look like such a dipstick).
0
Lastly, I wanted to apply a little trick I learned over the weekend and make it rain (using Photoshop). I tried two different methods and although I'm not thrilled with the end result, I had a great time and learned some new things.
0
I actually bought a silly business book when I graduated college and got my first job, it's called, How to become a rainmaker. I finally figured it out.
0
You can learn anything in online tutorials these days!
0
I better get back to organizing my ads. I have a lot to go over with my professors tomorrow and I want to make the best use of my time (that means no sleep for me tonight!)
0
Joe
0
0
P.S. Check out Stephen Poff on Flickr. He wanted to learn about self portraits so he decided to take 1 self portrait a day for an entire year. Hundreds of people, maybe thousands, have followed his journey and resolved to do the same, its a Flickr revolution and it's pretty cool!
0

No comments:

Post a Comment