Friday, November 6, 2009

The wee hours

I come up with some of my best work late at night, under pressure, when the "chip people" decide to put down their chips, and it's starting to irritate me.

Don't get me wrong, it's a rush, producing under pressure, but I am trying to do the right things, take a consistent approach with my assignments and it can be frustrating to feel like I'm waiting around for that big idea until crunch time when it falls out of the sky and bops me in the head.

Maybe I shouldn't complain. It's just that sometimes big idea isn't enough. I need time to shape a great thought into a really great line.


Last week I had another ad stay up on the wall (for the Budget Dream Car Rental Assignment), which means that I've had work "stick" for 3 out of the 4 assignments given this semester.

In full disclosure, I should mention that the professors ripped my ad in half, threw away the headline and kept the visual and tagline on the wall. They thought my headline was clunky.

It was.


Where can I get a waterproof notepad?

I get plenty of ideas in the shower, ideas in the dark, ideas when I'm driving, when I'm conversing with friends when I should be listening.

Seems like ideas come to me whenever I'm not in front of my computer.

Curse the creative process and it's lack of structure! Fortunately the iPhone helps me (not in the shower though, that's where I either have to frantically dash out of the shower as fast as I can or spend the remaining duration of my shower repeating the thought over and over again until I finally decide I actually hate it).


This week I've been working on ads for "Fellowes Paper Shredder" and I think I have some good ideas. Today is the day I want to turn my highlevel thoughts into rough headlines so I don't get all fahklumpt* as I rush to do it in a panic on Monday.

As usual, I have only one goal, to make the wall, I'll keep working and let you know.

joeyz101
http://twitter.com/joeyz101


*Did you know that the Nanny is on just about every night at 2am?

No comments:

Post a Comment