Sunday, November 1, 2009

Shaking up those creative juices

Over the weekend, I shook things up by participating in two online digital photo contests, or challenges as they are called by the actual website.

Photography is one of my hobbies and as a relatively new DSLR camera owner (Olympus E-520) I think these "challenges" are an awesome way to learn new techniques and have fun along the way.

The challenges are actually a lot like my ad assignments:

  • You get a project
  • You brainstorm
  • You post your work online (the virtual "wall" if you will)
  • And people vote and critique

Take a look at the photos I submitted below and let me know what you think by commenting below! I can take the criticism, but be gentle, because I just lied about being able to take criticism!


Challenge - Tilted II
Make use of an unusual angle to create design or movement in an otherwise ordinary photo.



I wasn't sure what to do for this challenge, so I started grabbing random objects and looking at them from all different sides. Finally I grabbed this coffee cup rack and when I looked at it from the angle you see in the photo above it looked (to me) like the back of some Tuscan coffee cup transformer, and it looked like it was running away, but from what?

How about making it run away from bad instant coffee! A cup rack, instant coffee and a sugar bowl morphed (in my head) into a high octane (or is it caffeine) chase scene. The coffee cups are totally making a run for it and they'd rather dive off the counter top than bear another drop of that nasty instant coffee. I entertained myself for a few hours and really had a lot of fun with this one!


Challenge - Animal / People Interaction
Capture an image that depicts some kind of interaction between people and animals. It might be friendly, it might be antagonistic, or it might be something else. Be creative and communicative.

Since I no longer have any pets, I went to the zoo. After an hour or so of walking around, shooting a bunch of llama portraits and talking to the chickens I was about to call it a day and give up the goat when I saw this cute little girl introduce herself to one.
0
I politely asked the sun to hide behind a cloud but the sun did not comply. Even though there is some harsh lighting in this shot (particularly on her forehead) it is for the most part well lit and it is an overall happy little moment.
0
I'm glad I was there to capture it! 0
0
Tomorrow is my ad class and that means I'll find out how my "Budget Rent-a-Car Dream Car Rental" ads do. I've asked loads of people what there dream car would be and what they would do if they had it for a night or two. I think that I'm clear on the product benefit and have some pretty good ideas. I'll be up for the next few hours polishing my thoughts.
0
Hopefully something will stick.
0
joeyz101
http://twitter.com/joeyz101

P.S. Some of you have told me that you get a message saying that your comment cannot be submitted. If you see that message after typing a comment just click the 'submit comment' button again and your comment will go through. If not, DM me on twitter and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment