Monday, December 7, 2009

Always take the stairs


My hand caught on fire this past Saturday night, It was kind of cool :o)

Lately I’ve been reading a lot of blogs about what people in the advertising industry should be thankful about.
0
In the words of Johnny Mac (Enroe, for you non-tennis fans) You cannot be serious!
0
The job market sucks, AgencySpy is reporting layoffs every other day and companies are slashing advertising budgets and killing projects. What does anyone have to be thankful about?

Everyone agreed that 2009 was rough but full of perspective. Anyone working in, or trying to break into the business was given plenty to think about.
0
That's a good thing and for me, this year has been one long test.
0
The two toughest questions I had to answer were: do I really want this and can I really do this?
0
I do want this. I spent a large part of this year convincing myself that I can be a copywriter. Maybe it’s true, the more you say it, the more you believe it (I should print business cards or get a tattoo, don’t tell my mom about the tattoo!).
0
Aside from art direction, I’m halfway done with my portfolio. One week after a review with my professors and I have three completely completed campaigns and 3 semi-completed campaigns.
0
I found a cool website last week called findyouryang.com. It’s a place where copywriters and art directors can team up to complete their portfolios or begin working together in the business.
0
I plan to contact art directors over the next few weeks and will provide an update on the value of this website (which is really a Facebook group), so stay tuned. If anyone knows any art directors that would be interested in working together or making some extra $$ to art direct my ads, leave a comment and let me know!
0
0
In other news, the two professors who taught my first advertising class have been telling their current students to contact me and ask how they can join a “Secret Society of Ex Advertising Students.”
0
Sounds mysterious and exciting, is there really such a group?
0
As a matter of fact there is!
0
The first advertising class I took was more than great, it was a homerun, a semester worth of stars, and it was what really inspired me to take myself seriously.
0
I will forever be grateful to those professors and the people I met in that class for encouraging me along this path. If anyone wants to join my Advertising Facebook Group, please send me a friend request on Facebook and I will send you an invite.
0
For all those students currently in class with those two awesome professors, enjoy your last class and be sure to ask yourself the tough questions when you wake up on Wednesday morning.
0
I ask and answer those questions every day. Some days I respond so confidently I scare myself and other days my voice cracks.
0
Breaking into this business is not easy. You have to want it. You have to have the right mindset and be willing to push yourself to think more creatively, to constantly work on your book, to take yourself seriously, etc, etc. I know that’s the only way I will ever make it in this business.
0
Push yourself constantly, race walk random people on the street, wake up one hour earlier than you planned, don’t hit the snooze button when the alarm rings.
0
Take the stairs, not the elevator.
0
People may look at you like your crazy and that’s ok, plenty of creative people are crazy (check out the movie Crazy People, if you haven’t seen it already!). You always go further when you avoid the easy way (and you’ll get some exercise on the way up :o)
0
joeyz101
http://joeyz101.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment