Monday, October 19, 2009

No turning back

Dramatic title I know, but I just got out of class a few hours ago and I'm in one of those moods.

Tonight we reviewed the ads we developed for the Black&Decker Simple Start Vehicle Battery Booster. Over the last week and a half I wrote about 75 ads for this assignment. I hung my best work on the wall around 6:45pm in good spirits.

Nothing stuck.

The professor's took down all the ads I put up, and for good reason. Their main complaint was that I focused too much on word play and too little on the key product benefit.

I agreed with their feedback and left the classroom inspired for two reasons:

1. It's better than being discouraged
2. I can't afford to be anything but inspired

This is exactly why I quit my job. When I had a good job I could shrug off a poor effort and say "oh well, there's always next week." But now the pressure's on. It's improve or die, well maybe not die but you get the point. I am much more serious about learning from my mistakes and much more aware of what will not happen if I don't improve (won't get a job for one thing).

I'm happy with the way things turned out. I have been playing with my words too much lately, I think it's because I watch too much Frasier, curse the Crane brothers and their witty banter!



My goal for next class is to be concept-strong and word play free.

I just ordered another Advertising Award Annual (circa 1995) from Communication Arts through amazon.com. My professor said he used to keep multiple annuals open on the table as he worked on ads for his portfolio. Looking at the best ads helps you to recognize great ideas of your own as well as the ones that aren't quite as good.

My plan for tomorrow is to attack next week's assignment, the Michelen Restaurant Guide, right away. I developed a Creative Brief Template last week so I'll spend the better part of my day completing it for this assignment. That will lay the foundation for the rest of the week.

My back pack will be a lot heavier tomorrow because I'm going to start taking all of my Award Annuals with me wherever I go.

Until I learn to avoid word play, this is the only way I can guarantee that I'll be heavy on great concept. (ahh! Stupid word play, I did it again!)

joeyz101
http://twitter.com/joeyz101

No comments:

Post a Comment