Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Inspiration in aisle 7

Any time I make a (bad) supermarket joke I always say, you can find thus and such in aisle 7. It's always aisle 7, I don't know why.

After spending the evening in Starbucks working on my ads I remembered that I had to pick up a few things at the store. I ran into the supermarket and took off for the dairy aisle at my usual ridiculously fast walking pace when something stopped me dead.

Old Italian people.

There at the end of the aisle, a bunch of the cutest old Italian people you ever saw were staring me in the face, from Via Roma pasta boxes. I forgot all about the milk and eggs I was supposed to be picking up and started arranging and photographing the pasta boxes, they looked so damn cool.

There is something you should know, I love old Italian people.

More specifically, Italian women, 75+, those chics are my bag of chips. I could listen to them tell stories from their youth all day long. I used to chase them around in Italy (Ciao bella ragazza :)when I studied there. Being around them always makes me feel like a kid and I like that feeling.

As odd as all this is, you could imagine how this packaging grabbed my attention. I wonder what the supermarket staff was thinking when they saw me photographing pasta boxes. Take a look at the photo's below and let me know what you think.





United, a British branding company created a marketing campaign for Tuscan Pasta company, Via Roma. The packaging has personality and that is just what United was going for when they shot the black and white portraits on location in Tuscany. I think it's really smart.

I like Ronzoni, Barilla and De Cecco as much as the next guy but their packaging is so boring. The truth is I'll never turn down a bowl of pasta, but now I want to try Via Roma because they captured the spirit of the people and the region of Tuscany and I appreciate that.

For me, cooking is about so much more than the food. Every dish has a story and any box of pasta that can transport me to Tuscany is a damn good box of pasta. Anyone ever tried Via Roma? Thoughts? In the next week or so I will give it a spin and let you know what I think.

Wow, it's 2:30am! Where does the time go?

I'm currently working to develop an ad campaign for Black & Decker's Simple Start Vehicle Battery Booster. Really that's just a fancy name for a car battery starter.

Let me know if you've ever drained your car battery and had to use one of these products. Was it easy, did it work? Ever have to ask a stranger to jump start your car? Any and all car battery stories are welcome!
joeyz101
http:/twitter.com/joeyz101

P.S. I heard back from one of the part time jobs that I applied for. I'm being considered for the Men's Head Tennis Coaching position. We'll see what happens!

2 comments:

  1. You know the singer Luther Vandross's middle name is Ronzoni?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha!

    I did not know that Hanley, thanks for sharing, that's pretty funny/odd.

    joeyz101

    ReplyDelete