Friday, September 11, 2009

Rain drops keep falling on my head

I'm heading out to meet with some friends for dinner, a little Italian food, hopefully I'll like it ;o)

Earlier today, I borrowed my sister's iPod and went for a run. I usually run with my iPhone and listen to Pandora. The "Kim Sozzi" radio station does a good job of keeping me fired up.

I'm probably the only person in the world with ZERO songs on my iPhone/Pod device thingy. I love music but just like I need someone to help me order sushi at a Japanese restaurant, I've always needed someone to educate me on the latest music.

Unless it's Frank, Dino or Louie (Prima), I'm lost.

I remember when I was in high school, a girl asked me what kind of music I listened to.

I said the radio.

That's why Pandora suits me. I plug in one song I like, and in minutes I'm discovering all these new songs and artists. Very cool.

My run started out with a little savage garden. Then it started raining.

Since I love running in the rain I didn't mind one bit. I was completely soaked. People in cars were giving me strange looks but I just smiled and kept on moving. Then to my surprise Dean Martin came on (I love my little sister!).

This is real music.

A whole bunch of my favorites played but the best was, as if on cue, just as the rain started coming down harder, on came 'Rain Drops Keep Falling on my Head'. It sounds weird but I doubled my pace and sang along the whole time.

That song is all about keeping a positive mindset when things get tough, maybe Dino was the mastermind behind another one of my favorite songs, 'Eye of the Tiger'.

I worked on my ads more today and posted them to an advertising Facebook group that I created a while back. I've already received some feedback on the campaign I posted but i think my ads still have a way to go.

When they're closer to a finished product, I'll post them. Hopefully by that time you'll have figured out how to leave comments and we can get a bit of a dialogue going ;o)

I'd also like to take a moment to 'remember' those who lost their lives (and their loved ones) on 09-11-2001.

I was on the train earlier this week when an old man sat down next to me. I see this man a few times a week but until this past Wednesday we never spoke.

How are you, I said. We talked about trains and commuting for a few minutes and then he said, I sometimes see that you wear a blue Italia jacket. Did you get that in Italy? I told him that I bought it when I studied in Firenze and he told me that he was from Calabria.

We got to talking about careers and I told him of my plans to chase my passion and become a Copywriter. He kept calling me a good boy and telling me that I remind him of his son.

He told me that he came to this country when he was 23 and he came because as much as he loved Italy, The United States is unique and special because it's one of the only countries in the world that gives you the opportunity to achieve your dreams.

He told me that I will have to work hard, be focused and stay passionate but if I do that I can succeed here. Sadly, he said that is not the case in other parts of the world.

People here, take this country for granted. He said they forget the sacrifices made by others but I will never forget. I'll never forget what happened on 9/11, and I will not forget all of the people that died. I won't forget the bravery shown by our city, the men and women who ran back towards the buildings, in an effort to help others.

I had the chills. I agreed with everything he said but I felt a bit ashamed because I feel as though I forget sometimes. I really liked this old man and I am going to make a concerted effort to remember and pray for these people on a more consistent basis.

We got to talking about gardens. From the sounds of it, his family has enough tomatoes to feed the neighborhood for a few months. I think I impressed him with my fresh mozz and sauce-making abilities, (maybe he has a grand daughter he can mention that to).

I'm just about to meet my friends now so have a great weekend and I'll post some more advertising related stuff soon.

joeyz101
http://twitter.com/joeyz101

1 comment:

  1. Good old Dean-o! You and I are very similiar brother when friends ask me about music i reply in the same way or I like everything and I'm sure you can tell that by listening to my ipod...Making sauce this weekend is going to be fun we just need some Frank Sinatra oh and btw I make friends with the elderly too maybe we are secretly twins!!....Ahhh!!!!

    ReplyDelete