Thursday, September 17, 2009

Forget glass houses, start with glass corners

Random thought.

Every corner of every wall should be made of clear glass.


That way you can see if someone is coming around the other side.

That way you don't bump into 37 people a day.

That way you don't have to pour your coffee in a sippy cup for fear that someone will make you wear it.


In my humble opinion, we're talking about a major office innovation here.


Got a glass house? Don't you dare throw stones. If you spring for glass corners, you won't get bumped or burned (by coffee at least).

While we're on the topic of office innovations, I think they should have lanes or rows inside elevators.

If you work on the17th floor of a 20 floor building, you should stand in the back.

In my building, those who work on the lower floors always run straight to the back and then push their way out, while the high floor folks hang out in the front. It has to stop...there is a better way. Every morning I think about proposing an organized entry but the looks I see make me think the gang isn't game for such experiments.

It might be better to just stay late one night, make lanes out of duct tape and assign each lane a floor range. There you have it, the intelligent elevator. After all, why shouldn't we go in and out as easily as we travel up and down?

What strange ideas pop into your head over the course of a normal business day? I for one, constantly think of stupid things. Its up to us to make sure no day is ever just another day at the office.


joeyz101

http://twitter.com/joeyz101

2 comments:

  1. I'm just happy elevators work when I get on them. Nothing like getting on one that feels like it needs some encouragement to get moving. Let's work to improve the technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert:

    I agree there is nothing I hate more than eating a cold Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich (with salt, pepper and ketchup) because of moody elevators that took their sweet time getting off the ground.

    Let's talk offline about improving that technology.

    ReplyDelete